Wheelchair Lift Maintenance for Medical Transport Buses
Wheelchair Lift Care
If your Medical transport bus has a wheelchair lift it must be properly maintained to ensure safe, worry-free operation. Whether you are a transit agency or school district, a wheelchair lift that is not operating correctly due to a lack of maintenance can cause service interruptions and downtime. To ensure your wheelchair lift is operating properly there are some preventative maintenance checks you should do on a regular basis.
Daily pre-trip inspections can detect potential problems. Inspecting the wheelchair lift for any wear, damage, or other abnormal conditions should be a part of your daily service routine.
Start by cycling the wheelchair lift prior to running a route is really your first critical step of the inspection. In addition to regular inspections, lubrication and maintenance procedures should be performed at 750 cycle intervals most of which you can find listed in the lift service manual.
These intervals are a general guideline for scheduling specific maintenance procedures and will be different based on lift use and conditions. Lifts exposed to severe conditions (weather, environment, contamination, and heavy usage may require inspection and maintenance more frequently.
Agencies, school districts, and non-certified technicians often forget about cleaning the lift, during use it can get very dirty and greasy and now more than ever, handicap lift decontamination and cleanliness is vital for your passengers health and safety.
- Simple inspections for any wear, damage or other abnormal conditions should be part of any transit agency daily service program.
- Maintenance and Lubrication procedures must be performed by an Authorized Service Center, such as Atlantic Bus Sales.
- Lift Inspections, Lubrication and Maintenance should be scheduled at intervals according to the number of cycles or usage.
- Braun recommends an inspection for every 750 cycles. Ricon recommends an inspection every 6 months.
- Atlantic Bus Sales is an Authorized Service Center for both Ricon and Braun.
Medical Transport Bus Wheelchair Lift Preventive Maintenance & Inspection Includes:
** Does not include any needed repairs**
- Check Operating Condition
- Check Control Pendant
- Check Wiring
- Check Interlock
- Check Hand Rails, Lift Mounts and Support Points
- Check Main Lift Pivot
- Check Inner Roll -Stop & Platform Roll-Stop
- Check Hydraulic Power Unit & System
- Clean and Lubricate All Moving Parts
- Check Battery, Cables and Connections
- Check Manual Back Up Systems
- Inspect Tie-Downs and Floor Tracks
- Check All Exterior and Interior Lift Lights
Atlantic Bus Sales provides quality service for your medical transport bus and wheelchair lift and our ASE technicians can handle any type of repair. Call us today to schedule your routine maintenance or if you are having an issue, bring in your medical transport bus and have your wheelchair lift services and maintained to ensure proper safe operation.